Definitions of terms (c) Avalon 2015
"Avalon" refers to the multi-player roleplaying computer game known as Avalon (with various appendage phrases). "Avalon" includes but is not limited to its gamesystem code in the Hourglass language and its permanent gamesystem text, all relevant data, original ideas and concepts, algorithms, starting with the original modem-accessible game on the BBC Microcomputer in November 1988 written in 6502 assembler, through the conversion to Hourglass language in October 1989, to the present day, and all subsequent and/or future additions and evolutions in direct line with the originating gamecode and permanent gametext and data; the aforementioned in their entirety constitute "Avalon" and all references to Avalon in this document conform to and presume to include this definition.
Avalon's license holders, copyright holder and contributors explicitly disclaim everything they may disclaim under the laws of the United States of America, the United Kingdom, the European Union and all other countries, territories, and regions throughout the world. More specifically but not limited to the fact that any statement made by any user on this system is not necessarily the view of its operators, nor necessarily supported by them.
Terms and Conditions for Avalon under license to Hourglass Communications and MEETPLACEdotNET Inc 2015
admin site: www.avalonpublications.com
support email: email@example.com
accounts email: firstname.lastname@example.org
address: 1732 1st Ave, Ste 26001, New York, NY 10128, USA
To protect Avalon and its players, we ask all to agree to the terms and conditions described below. Playing Avalon is implicit agreement to these terms and conditions in addition to the explicit agreement sanctioned by subscription, procurement, purchase from or through Avalon including in-game micropurchases and acceptance of sponsorship. These terms and conditions apply both while logged in to Avalon and to actions outside of Avalon that could reasonably be associated as representing or originating from Avalon while in no way creating a relationship legal or otherwise between anyone playing Avalon and actions outside of the Avalon environment. Subscribing to Avalon or playing a character in Avalon for more than twenty hours or one week constitutes an individual as an Avalon Player as aforementioned thereafter.
"Comments on these Terms and Conditions are always welcome and should be directed to the appropriate administration contact using the details best suited as listed above."
For the purposes of these conditions, Avalon is considered both a written publication and the full copyright under the law representing original works of literature is applicable to all fixed Avalon output (i..e. text permanently a component of Avalon's gameworld and gamesystem, written by the authors of Avalon as opposed to text written by a player of the game and quoted to another player, using the Avalon gamesystem as a medium). Avalon is also a computer game whose design, algorithms, text, code and gamesystem are subject to all copyright restrictions and protections available under the law.
The status of Avalon as a written publication i..e. a work of literary merit and consistent substantial content insofar as copyright and charges for content was defined after examination based on hardcopy submission listing Avalon (notifications and judgment on record) as a special inclusion attached to:
1. Avalon is copyright to Yehuda R Macbeth Simmons, hereafter referred to as "the copyright holder". This operating license is global and unrestricted including but not limited to the United States of America, the United Kingdom, the European Union and all other countries in the world. The exemptions under Value Added Tax 1994 cannot be applied to non-UK residents.
1.1 All contributions to Avalon from 12th September 1992 become copyrighted to the aforementioned. Future contributions not originating from the copyright holders waive all rights to copyright on contributions and assign, to the fullest extent possible, copyright of these contributions to the copyright holder. All enquiries regarding copyright should be directed to the copyright holder. Contributions included but are not limited to game text, ideas, methodologies, algorithms, game code (in Hourglass or any other form), game data, concepts, computer hardware, computer software, physical and virtual necessities and/or inclusions. The aforementioned are hereafter defined as "contributors".
1.2 Contributions to Avalon in any form, or to the Hourglass language, or the Avalon gamesystem's functionality and access are duly notified of their rights to be classed with "contributors". Contribution in any form prior to 12th September 1992 have the option to waive and/or assign copyright to the copyright holder, as per clause 1.1, reach separate agreement with the copyright holder, or remove their contribution from Avalon. All enquiries regarding copyright can be directed to the copyright holder or to any of the existing Avalon license holders. Past contributors will be classed with "contributors" as defined in clause 1.1 if no communication or correspondence occurs before 12th September 2002 (i..e. ten years is given to register or dispute any copyright declarations).
1.3 You are not allowed to reprint or distribute any text contained within Avalon without the prior written permission of the copyright holder or the current Avalon license holder of the Avalon version used.
1.4 You are not allowed to copy, clone or steal either directly or indirectly any of the techniques, mythology, unique ideas and original methodologies designed by Avalon and published by Avalon at any time or in any iteration of Avalon from its originating date to the present and in perpetuity. This includes but is not limited to its gamesystem, its simulation mechanisms, its algorithms, and all intellectual property rights applicable under the fullest extent of the law.
2. This iteration of Avalon is provided as a service to its users under worldwide exclusive license. MEETPLACEdotNET Inc and Hourglass Communications receive mail at its physical address (servers off-site in DC at an internet prime nexus) in the USA: 1732 1st Ave, Ste 26001, New York, NY 10128, USA. Written enquiries to the aforementioned address. Telephone contact via our toll-free 646-404-4464 and FAX to 949-812-6675. International communication should note the United States has the international dialling code +1.
3. Users (i..e.. players) of Avalon are personally liable for everything sent to Avalon from their computer, terminal or access hardware (e..g. mobile phone) and take full responsibility and liability for all consequences of their actions in whatever form. Avalon, its copyright holder, its license holder, its owner and operators are NOT responsible for any of the player generated content (textual or in any other form), nor its effects, consequences or repercussions.
4. Users of Avalon, by subscribing, accepting sponsorship and thus playing Avalon beyond any initial "free" or "sample" period (including but not limited to joining a 'guild' or registering your e-mail address or personal details) agree to take full responsibility and liability for all Avalon charges incurred and moreover, likewise, assume full responsibility and liability for all internet, telephone, associated service provider and all other charges that may be incurred through the use or playing (past or present) of Avalon.
5. If Avalon, its license holder, its operators, or anyone associated with operating the game is subject to any costs, including but not limited to legal, character charges, subscriptions, debts, third-party fees and penalty charges, as a consequence of a user's actions then the user or player assumes full liability for all costs, present and future, and all culpability for his or her actions (word and deed) and all their repercussions and consequences.
6. All purchases from Avalon paid for by cheque or credit card are considered non-negotiable purchases and once bought cannot be refunded in any way except as a result of permanent deprivation of your Avalon character within one year of the relevant purchase. We do however promise to charge its users at whatever rate was indicated by the CHARGES command command at the time of their purchase. Avalon guarantees all charges to remain unchanged for subscribers based on the time of their purchase or subscription or product.
6.1 Monthly, Quarterly and any recurring subscriptions are charged at the beginning of your chosen period and delivered on a pro-rata basis. If therefore you cancel your subscription part way through a month then a refund may be provided, upon request, for the unused days of the billing period. The exception to this clause is where a reseller is used, the fact of which will be clearly communicated, and in which case the reseller's refund policy shall supercede any terms outlined here.
6.2 The Avalon license holders undertake to charge users or players at whatever rate was indicated by the CHARGES command (when in Avalon) or the HELP CHARGES file (accessible via the Avalon website @ www.avalon-rpg.com/help/pages/charges) and as indicated during their subscription or procurement process. Avalon reserves the right to alter its charges at any time, but guarantee the financial obligations of a user will remain as agreed at the time of the original subscription or procurement unless altered by mutual assent of both parties.
6.3 All data held on Avalon's servers are the property of Avalon and its license holders including but not limited to all manifestation of this data in the form of "game" and "game content" and "game characteristics" such as the player persona itself under all circumstances (its attributes, possessions, abilities, skills, lesson credits, procurements, purchases of a non-hardcopy nature, descriptions, associations, relationships as manifested or recorded in data format, contributions included as part of Avalon - see above clause on player submissions).
6.4 Avalon and its license holders undertakes to make available and ensure responsible reasonable treatment of all Avalon players and their characters or persona and all associated data and its manifestations in "game" and "game content" and "game characteristics". Avalon and its license holders will make all reasonable effort to safeguard data and content and all aspects of the "game" regardless of subscription, sponsorship or account status pertaining to individual players. Backups of all data and content including but not limited to players and player-associated data shall be taken twice every twenty four hours.
7. Avalon functions TWENTY FOUR a day, or SEVEN days a week, or 365 days of the year (366 days on leap years) i..e. it is perpetually available except during inaccessible periods beyond our control or during reasonable update, upgrade, development or any other work undertaken on the development of Avalon and its related systems. Despite making this undertaking, we can give no guarantee that it will be available at any given moment or at any specific time due to the various unpredictable or unforeseen or necessary circumstance in addition to the multiple internet service providers and communications authorities and corporations and services involved in every moment of gaming and every byte of data exchanged between the player and Avalon.
8. Avalon is in a constant state of change. The Avalon license holders, owner and copyright holder reserve the right to alter Avalon and everything and anything contained therein without prior notice.
9. Avalon does not hold itself in any way responsible for any damage to your health, wealth, lifestyle, material or social circumstances (including but not limited to marriage and other relationships) as a result of using Avalon and/or anything produced by or attributed to or relating to or originating from or passing through Avalon, its servers and any support sites.
10. Any abuse of an Avalon account or character or player breach of these Terms and Conditions may result in suspension or deletion at any time, pending the published judgement of the Avalon license holder or their administrative representatives. This will not affect the non-refundable nature of previously purchased subscriptions, procurement, character attributes or any other Avalon "game" or data pertaining to transactions of a material nature whatsoever the consideration.
10.1 In the event of restriction of access to Avalon for an actively subscribed player, this subscription if it is recurring shall not incur further charges and outstanding time billed will be frozen until the resolution of restriction at which point it will become available immediately without loss of said time or the unplayed billed time will be refunded in full or mutually agreed settlement reached.