How do I begin building my character?
Choosing a name
The first thing to decide will be your character's name. This can be anything you choose though caution is advised since your name will, in most cases, be the first thing other Avalonians hear about you. Take some time before making your choice; consider your ambitions and how your name will sound when the deeds of your fledgling persona become the stuff of legends in years to come!
##Choosing a class and guild
Avalon has nine classes to choose from, centred around two dozen guilds. Your professional choice will determine the skills and abilities available to you and so this is one of the most crucial decisions you will make.
Avalon's professions include:
- The Knight: The traditional physical combatant; reliant on swords and weaponry and endurance
- The Mage: Archetypal magic user; wielder of elemental enchantment, candescent light-magics and music
- The Sorcerer: Wielder of dark magics, summoner of demons, master of death and necromantic vampyrism
- The Thief: The shadow-dweller; acrobatic assassins, nimble burglars, wielder of knives and ropes and deadly poisons
- The Ranger: Rugged defenders of the wilderness; archery, stealthy tracking, use of flora and fauna of the forests in combat
- The Seer: Mystical fatalists; purveyors of curses and blessings, long-range manipulation, master of the palantiri, voodoo
- The Bard: Songsmiths and orators; weavers of musical enchantments, spellbinding dramatics, Voice of command
- The Loremaster: Artificers; fashioning magical artifacts, weapons, elixirs and rune-lore, defensive and complex combat
- The Druid: Pacifists and naturalists; empathy with the forests and protectors of Life, resurrections and good-spirits
Each profession has at least one guild dedicated to it, though most have more than one; allowing you to choose an outlook that best fits with your character's role while maintaining your choice of profession. Learn more about each profession and its founding ideals by reading here, or if you wish to read about guilds, this page has all you need to know.
##Choosing a city
Most Avalonians choose a city and while it is perfectly possible to survive - and even thrive - as a cityless individual, many find the isolation from the urban folk more difficult than it is rewarding.
- Mercinae is Avalon's oldest city; the beacon of Light and Justice
- Thakria is the city of Miracles; the fire-forge of ambition, ruthlessness and unwavering excellence
- Parrius, city of the Free; guardians of Liberty, Fraternity and Equality
- Silverfalls, city of the Lion; founded from the ashes of conquered Springdale
Avalon's four cities represent four unique, independent outlooks on the land. Each has its own fully autonomous, player-run government made up of a Prince or Princess, several barons and numerous ministers; all of whom work together to determine city policy and laws, to handle day to day city affairs and to set the goals, aims and ambitions of the city as a whole.
##Setting a unique description
Finally, consider your character's appearance. All Avalonians can set a unique description using the command DESCRIBE MYSELF. This can be as detailed as you like, describing as much or as little as you wish to give away. You can view your description by typing EXAMINE MYSELF in Avalon, or view another's by typing EXAMINE followed by their name, e.g. EXAMINE BLODWYN.